In the first photograph four brothers pose together with their Cocker Spaniel- some of the brothers look more pleased to be having their photographs taken than others! Note the carefully arranged wooden building blocks on the table in the centre of the image.
In the second photograph the youngest (and most fidgety) of the brothers is posed on his own with the Cocker. This little boy obviously wasn't happy with the arrangement of the building blocks, having knocked them down and spread some of them on the floor as well!
I'm sure the sweet little Cocker was kept very busy by the four brothers. Known for their tireless energy and intelligence the Cocker is a perfect companion. I will at this point admit I am somewhat biased, having known many lovely Cockers in my life and currently owning one! (click here to see a photo of my working Cocker Hedley.)
This dark coloured Cocker certainly could do with a trim! The dog's face is narrow and quite delicate, and from this I would think it not unlikely that it is a female.
Photographer Henry Jonathan Hitchcock was born in Leicester in 1869. He married his wife Edith Mary Smith in October 1895 and they had two daughters. Henry opened his photographic studio in the family home at 64 Sparkenhoe Street in Leicester in 1899. My photographs date from circa 1902 when Hitchcock began using the name "Lawn Studio" which you can see on the mount of the photographs.
Want more Spaniels? Click here for my other Spaniel related articles on this website.
- H. J. Hitchcock in the early photographers directory (Leicester)
- Henry Jonathan Hitchcock in the 1881 England Census [database on-line].
- Henry Jonathan Hitchcock in the 1901 England Census [database on-line]
- Henry Jonathan Hitchcock in the 1911 England Census [database on-line]
- Henry Jonathan Hitchcock & Edith Mary Smith in the FreeBMD. England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837-1915 [database on-line]