This has to be one of the most charming photos in my collection. A little girl proudly displays her most precious things - her doll, her bonnet, a favourite book, and last but by no means least - her dog.
On the reverse of the mount, faintly in pencil reads the following:
From Myrtle age 6 yrs
Celia (the doll) will be a year next Christmas.
Mop's age is uncertain.
The photograph was taken in Lawler, a small township of Chickasaw County, Iowa, USA. The population of this tiny town has changed little since the 1880s, when the population was 487, to the latest census data from 2010 which put the population at 439. You can image when Myrtle had her photograph taken she would have had lots of close family and friends in the town who would have enjoyed the photo, including Hilda.
1907 Postcard of Lawler, showing Main Street, looking East - click the image for a larger view.
- Examples of Portraits and mount designs from the studio of John P. Eskildsen
- Marriage record for John P. Eskildsen & Emma Schlatter
- John P Eskildsen in the 1910 United States Federal Census
- John P. Eskildsen in the 1920 United States Federal Census
- John P. Eskildsen in the U.S Naturalization Records Index 1791-1992
- Emma Schlatter in the 1870 United States Federal Census
- Photograph of the gravestone of Emma Schlatter
- Postcard of Lawler produced by W. S. King of Algona, Iowa
- Wiki article on Lawler, IA